[ The history ]
[ S.Pancrazio ]
[ The canestrello ]
[ The territory ]
[ The Photos ]
Vaie historical centre and the S.Pancrazio Sanctuary.
Vaie is situated in the lowland of Susa Valley. It lays to the right bank of the Dora river. On its south side there are large forest of chestnuts tree. It is not far away from the peak of the Pirchiriano Mount, at the top of which there is S.Michele Abbey (better known as "Sacra"). His historical centre, which has clings to the mountain, expands around the Old Road of France. On the rock, which overhangs the village, there is a small romanic sanctuary, a witness of archaic pre Christian faiths.
The archaeological finds, which backdate to 100 years ago, prove that the history of Vaie begins in prehistoric ages. They take us back to the age of the bronze, at a little village or a small centre of stone workers, which was located among the rocks, and raised from the swamps.
Just there, between the localities Pradera and Baità, we can find the rests of old cultivations. In that place the Romans took out the material to build the pavements of the roads, and columns of Turin (by that time called Augusta Taurinorum). Vaie, which vas located close the border between the Francs and Longobards Kingdoms, saw the Carlo Magno’s victory on king Desiderio, in 773 AD. Infact, maybe that Carlo Magno was able to take the enemy to the shoulders, arriving through the mountain path of Vaie.
In 1029, as “Vaga”, Vaie was mentioned ia document where Marquis Manfredi offered to St.Giusto of Susa Monastery the third part of Susa Valley territories. This document was confirmed by the emperor Corrado II in 1037, and by Tommaso I of Savoia in 1212. The village remained under the influence of the Arduinici (later Earls of Savoia), and the Benedettini of Susa, while the first church and the bell tower were built. Later, it passed from the rule of S. Giusto to the rule of St. Michel Abbey (or "Sacra").
Possibly Vaie became indipendent, in the seventeenth century, together with others villages in that area, because of the decline of the Sacra. Infact the old town hall, which is now used as a archaeological museum, was built in 1677. The eighteenth century is the century brings the modification of the small romanic church Santa Margherita (built in the XI century), until to that, to present features and dimensions. In 1764 it was consacrated by the bishop of Pinerolo, Giovanni Battista D’Orliè of the marquises of the Saint-Innocent. It has sumptuous wood decorations and golden stuccos.
century later, in 1868 the new church was built. It was situated more in the
lowland, but the
old one is still important for local People. The popular tradition told
us that in the 1877 the people of Vaie asked to S. Pancrazio to end a terrible
epidemic. They devoted him the church to tank him for the miracle. Nowadays a
confraternity of S. Pancrazio is
still there and take care of the sanctuary.
So, now, Vaie has two patronal feasts. Santa Margherita on 20 July, and S. Pancrazio on 12 May. To celebrate S. Pancrazio the population organizes a procession in where the people, wearing old costumes, together with the local musical Band, follow the statue of the saint.
Of course the procession goes through the streets to the church, where a mess is celebrated.
From few years, the S. Pancrazio’s feast is a good opportunity to make the most of the “canestrello”, Which is a typical product.
It is a fragrant biscuit with circular shape. Small balls of pastry are hold squashed in special tools by iron and cooked on the fire.
They have a typical taste of lemon, and their form, remind us the form of a basket.
In summertime, it is possible to spend very agreeable days in the forests and in the fields, which are around Vaie. In the shady woods you can enjoy a bit cool also in the most hot days.
People are used to celebrate the day of Santa Margherita (in July) enjoing their pic-nics in the countryside.
Though a mountain path you can reach two small villages: Mura and Folatone, where many families go to spend their holidays.
Vaie is very popular for its drinkable water. In the village there are ten fountains, and people come from farway to drink this pure , light and chlorine -safe water. The locality where the source is located is called “Penturetto”.
Vaie has a short archaeological route which take about half an hour experience through a well signed path. It start from Pradera and ends where the little Museum is.
there are many nice illustrations and reproductions of original object of the
primitive people life.
[ Comune di Borgone ] [ Comune di Condove ] [ le fortificazioni del Moncenisio ]